The history of the village is available on the
internet, using search engines such as Google. There are also a number
of written accounts. Probably the most complete is "Sambourne in its
Setting" by John R.S.Yates who lives in the village. This was completed
in 2000 and comprises 145 pages including a detailed reference section.
Unfortunately it is now out of print, but the author is prepared to
consider a limited reprint if sufficient people are serious about
purchasing a copy. The estimated price is £25-30 each. The same author
produced an A5 pamphlet, covering the period up to 1920, which was
distributed to all households to celebrate the millennium.
This page reproduces a short reflection written by another resident - Roger Loach.
Sweet are the thoughts that savour of content
The quiet mind is richer than a crown.
Sweet are nights in careless slumber spent
The poor estate scorns fortune's angry frown.
Such sweet content, such minds, such sleep, such bliss,
Beggars enjoy when princes oft miss.
The homely house that harbours quiet rest
The cottage that affords no pride nor care.
The mean that 'grees with country music best
The sweet consort of mirth and music's fare.
Obscured life sets down a life of bliss
A mind content, both crown and kingdom is.
Samboume is undoubtedly a village of environmental quality and delight.
The neat and tidy village green is approached via four leafy lanes
giving the visitor a very pleasant introduction to the village.
The earliest reference to Sambourne is of 714 when its recorded as
being given by Egwin Bishop of Worcester to the monastery at Evesham
upon its foundation. Dugdale quotes the conventional date for the
The holding is confirmed by the Doomday Book which records
Land of Evesham Church, "The church itself holds in Sambourne 3 hides.
Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship; 2 villagers and 4 smallholders with 3
ploughs. Woodland 1 league long and one half league wide.".
village and surrounding lands were for many years part of Feckenham
forest, in the ownership of King John, and as a Manor it was held by
the Abbots of Evesham until the Dissolution. Henry V111 subsequently
granted it to Robert Throckmorton in 1540 for £445 to be paid in
In 1707 Tenant commoners, living in the village, 24
in number petitioned the then Lord of the manor, Sir Robert
Throckmorton to inclose Sambourne and the heath, to allow cattle to
graze, with 60acres set apart for the benefit of poor persons. This
land was to be held as to one half for the poor of Sambourne. Problems
associated with disapproving tenants dragged on until an Act of
Parliament was passed in 1773, approving the inclosure.
was the main livelihood in Sambourne for many years, at present only
Sambourne Hall Farm and Reins Farm are active. During the late 18 and
early 19th century, there was a thriving Cottage industry centered on
fishing hooks, needle making, glove sewing and brick making.
forming part of the ecclesiastical parish of Coughton with Spernall,
Morton Bagot and Oldberrow, Sambourne has been a civil parish since at
least the 17th century. It should be noted that there was previously a
Chapel in Sambourne dedicated to St Andrew prior to the Reformation.
dispute with the Throckmortons in the 18th century, concerning cost and
provision of a Priest, caused the Church to fall into a state
disrepair and be abandoned. The Villagers were left with no alternative
other to than to be compelled to walk to the Coughton Church for
near the centre of the village one will see a
small Church or Chapel of Ease. The funds to build this chapel were
raised by the generosity of the churchgoing villagers, an action that
took a considerable time. Details of the event and donors can be found
Alcester library. Consecration was performed in late 1882.
Sambourne possesses a fine village green, a
well-kept triangle containing four mature trees. One will also find a
number of bench seats placed on the Green, in memory of people who have
contributed to the well being of Sambourne. In the centre stands a War
memorial that was erected in 1919, around which each year, on November
11, Remembrance Day services are held.
Overlooking the Green
there are a number of listed buildings, the most prominent is The Green
Dragon Inn of the period 17/18 century, with a19th century coach house
attached. In the early days. it was used as a Carters Inn, serving the
needs of travellers and Drovers as they passed through to Feckenham
The Old Post Ofice and general stores, closed during
the 1980's and seriously missed, was a casualty of the advance large
Stores in Redditch and Studley. It has since had a superb renovation
that complements the aura of the Village Green
Tucked away at the rear of The Old Post Office, you will see another delight. This is The Green Dragon Cottage, an attractive
19th century building with lots of character, and is a very nice property, it has no known affiliation to the Inn.
complete the scene, the Yew Tree Cottage is a fine example of an
Elizabethan period building. Thatched and timbered, it is a 16th
century delight, well maintained, admired by the many visitors to
Other properties of note are the Almshouses in the ownership of The Sambourne Trust, a charity that dates back to February 1710.
Charity provides assistance to the elderly in many ways and provides
weekly transport for the villagers to go shopping in nearby Redditch.
ancient farmstead and cottages in Perrymill Lane are considered to be
of significant architectural quality, as is the 16th century Crossroads
property, in all 15 properties are of local and historic significance
Sambourne is protected by its location in a conservation zone and no changes to it are envisaged. Community activities take
place in The Chapel of Ease, the local organisations, Womans Institute, Village Association and Parish Council have their
meetings here. it is also used for Whist drives, Quiz nights, Childrens parties etc.
Coughton.... Some historical notes
Coughton was written in Domesday as Coctune, belonging to Tuchill de Warwick who owned or possessed large tracts of
land in what are now the Midlands.
the Conquest it passed to Henry de Newburgh, the first Earl of
Warwick by whom the Advowson* was granted to Studley priory. Soon
afterwards the estates were held by a family who adopted their family
name Coctune from it.
By 1316 the De Spineto family held
the rights of Coctune or Coughton, members of this family filled
notable appointments in the County for a great part of Edward the
thirds reign. They were responsible for the arraying of archers for the
French wars, and later on for seeing that the Statute for Labourers was
Guy de la Spine, great grandson of the first Spineto,
served as Knight of the Shire in parliaments of Richard the second's
reign and was Escheator* for Warwickshire and Leicestershire. It was
through marriage by John Throckmorton to de la Spine's daughter
Allianore that the Lordship of Coughton passed into Throckmorton
family. John Throckmorton purchased the lands of Spernall in 1441.
Throckmorton, who built Coughton School and the Almshouses, enclosed
The Park at Coughton in or about 1486 He was knighted on All Saints Day
1494. He died 1518 whilst on a pilgrimage to the Holy Lands.
The 17th century was a traumatic period for Coughton Court. The involvement in the Gunpowder Plot when the Wives and
friends of the plotters were captured in the Court and a number were done to death.
Civil War 1643 saw the Court occupied and ransacked and on December 3"'
which came to be known as 'Running Thursday'. The
Court buildings were attacked and partly
Coughton Court and associated estates remained in
the family until 1934 when the bulk of the land was sold to the Crown.
Whilst the house, grounds
and village remained in the Throckmorton family.
The villagers in Samboume were able to purchase a number of the Estate
These notes were compiled
from material extracted from The Victoria History of The County of
Warwick. Supplemented with notes from Dugdale's History writings.
Advowson*.......The right of presentation to a vacant benefice
Escheator*... ...The reverting of property to the Lord of the Land,or to the Crown.
League............ Equal to 1.5 Miles.
Hide............... ..Equal to 120 Acres
this booklet contains some historical data, it is not claimed to be
fully embracing of events or developments in the life of SamboumeVillage
Roger Loach 1992
Samboume Trust is a Charity that had its beginnings in 1710, by a
donation from Robert Haynes, who, by Will gave £20, the interest to be
applied to set poor children of Sambourne to be apprentices.
This generosity was continued by the following:
Joyce Whoman, who gave the interest on 40 shillings, to be given to seven Widows of Sambourne
William Hemming, gave £4, the interest to be given to four Widows.
Mrs Ann Gauton gave £100 for use of the poor.
Hobbins of Studley, in 1735 left 20 shillings yearly out of land, in
Great Aine to find gowns for two Widows of Sambourne on 1st of May.
bequests and others subsequently, have provided the means to enable the
Trustees of the past and present, to purchase properties that today are
housing elderly and needy people.
The Sambourne Trust in accordance
with the Charity Commission governing document, continues to provide
assistance to elderly residents and to schoolchildren by means of
grants, for specialised books etc.